During the excursion around the territory of the regimental city of Poltava 17th – 18th centuries tourists will be able to visit the territory of the former outpost over the Vorskla, to see the reconstructed guard bastion of the Podilska tower; to visit the ancient fortress church - the Church of the Saviuor (1706), the Cossack shrine - the Assumption Cathedral; to admire the picturesque landscapes from the hill on Panyanka onto the Vorskla and its banks; to feel the breath of history at the place where the river of Ltava used to originate, which gave the name to the city. Find out where the vaults of the fortress were; to find out the results of archaeological excavations of the Poltava and the myths and facts of the siege of Poltava in 1709. At the same time, tourists will get acquainted with the life, traditions and customs of Cossack Poltava, traditional crafts, artistic preferences and dishes of Poltava. Here are some of the famous historic sites in our city.
The Podilska Tower is one of the towers of the Poltava fortress of the beginning of the 18th century which was restored. In 2009, the tower was reconstructed as a viewing point. It helps the citizens and the visitors of Poltava to imagine what a fortress of Poltava was.
The Cathedral Square, or as it is called, Ivanova Hora - one of the oldest squares of ancient Poltava, surrounded on three sides by ravines. In its territory, the oldest Slavic settlement within the city was explored. Here located the Assumption Cathedral, shopping malls, administrative buildings, and on the east side was a horseshoe-shaped bastion, reinforced with a wooden Sampsoniivska tower. The Cathedral Square is a popular holiday destination for citizens of Poltava and the main tourist attraction of the city. You can also see here the Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary - the main cathedral of the city, which has existed here since the 17th century. At first it was wooden. In 1748, a stone church was laid nearby. The monastery of the Holy Cross Cathedral served as a model. The new church was built by Stefan Stabanskyi with money of Poltava colonel A. Horlenko and regimental chairman. The cathedral is a creation of the architecture of the baroque period of the Hetmanate. In 1934, the cathedral was destroyed and the restoration of the cathedral began in 2000.
The Church of the Saviour. The exact date of the erecting of such a monument as the Church of the Saviour in Poltava is still unknown. The Church of the Saviour became famous far beyond Ukraine, after the Battle of Poltava in 1709. It was attended by Peter the Great. In 1845, a stone case with an iron dome was made around an old oak church with an octagonal shingled dome. So they decided to preserve the wooden Church of the Saviour as a historical monument.
The Monument to the Ukrainian Cossacks. There was a well at this place in ancient times. And a legend says that after the battle of Poltava in 1709, an ulcer disease began in the city. One of the Cossacks had a dream. A girl in white clothes came and said he should dig a well at this place on a hill; anyone who drinks water from it will recover from the disease. Waking up the Cossack did so. He dug a well and the locals recovered from a deadly disease. The well was here until 1838 when the well dried and was buried. Nowadays, one of the first monuments to Ukrainian Cossacks in Ukraine has been opened at this place.
The Poltava Museum of Local Lore. The museum occupies a house of former province administration or Zemstvo. It was built from 1902 to 1908. The construction of the house was started in 1902 by the architect O. Shyrshov shaping the pseudo-renaissance style. There was a lot of criticism from members of Zemstvo, so a competition for a new project was announced. The winning project was made by an architect V. Krychevsky. The house became a masterpiece of Ukrainian Art Nouveau. During World War II, the building was burned down and the reconstruction lasted until the 1960s.
The Church of St. Nicholas has been known since the time of the Poltava Fortress. It was finally built on May 8, 1774, instead of the old wooden church. The church was too small, and in 1885, for the money of the merchant Vakulenko a two-storied stone annexe on the west side of it was built. To the northwest of the church, a stone double-deck bell tower was built in 1784. During the Second World War, the church was destroyed. Only a stone annex left. The Soviet government did not rebuild it, and closed the church in 1961. After that, an art works was located in the building. In 1994, the restoration of the church began.
Institute Mountain. One of the historical districts of the city is known as Mazurivka. It was part of the Poltava fortress. The first women's institution in Poltava, the Institute of Noble Ladies was opened here. It gave a new name to this place - Institute Mountain.